• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Used MLU Bulb Ramper for the first time, is this fixable?

#1 Matjoez
Hi guys,

here's a screenshot of a part of my sequence from last night. I decided to try out the Magic Lantern bulb ramper to see what results I could get with it.

Is this fixable? Basically the entire sequence is like that, lots and lots of jumps, deflickering doesn't make it any better really..

[Image: http://i.imgur.com/6WgY1.png]

Next time i'm trying the proposed method from the book, shooting manual wide open and adjusting exposure when i notice it's getting too dark.

The reason I ask this now is because my system isn't good enough to render it all out and then check it, that would literally take days and days.

Cheers,
Matthew
#2 Matjoez
I did try the export, took a long time, this is what the sequence looks like right now:

http://youtu.be/oSppg0jkGbw

As you can see, insane flicker (quite a shame cause it could've been a very nice sequence imo)

Any advice to fix this in post?
#3 Gunther
Normally you should be able to improve things dramatically with LRTimelapse though I always say - errors made when shooting are sometimes not fixable in post.
I would apply the holy grail method described in the ebook and set the keyframes left and right of the jumps. Then I would apply deflickering. This should make the sequence better though I doubt that you will get a perfect result. But it is worth a try and will get you practice working with LRTimelapse.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 Matjoez
Thanks for the feedback, I'm going back there in a few hours (lots of clouds though Sad ) and am trying the different method!
#5 Matjoez
Could it be that I'm getting this error because i didn't only have pairs but also triplets and quadruplet pairs? (I overshot the exposure adjustment on the camera two times)
Pressing auto transition doesn't do anything..

[Image: http://i.imgur.com/LpV31.png]
#6 Matjoez
So I took a part of my sequence and copied it to a new folder and started over.
I used the Adobe Bridge workflow as described in the book, I'm not getting the error anymore but I don't think my graphs should be looking like this?

[Image: http://i.imgur.com/MLXk3.png]
#7 Gunther
In the first screenshot you can clearly see that you didn't initialize your metadata in LRTimelapse. The Exposure column is empty for all values except the keyframes. That shouldn't be. Please follow my workflow carefully, first initialize evereythin, than set the keyframes.
The second screenshot won't work either because you have to set the pairs of keyframes at the jumps, this way you wan't get any good results (as you just expected). Please try again, the initializing in the very first step is really crucial and I can't stress it enough...
#8 Matjoez
Thanks for the feedback! However I don't fully understand the second part about the keyframes..
I placed them in pairs (where possible) at the jumps (so one on dark, one on bright exposed) next to eachother and saved. (i did notice that in bridge or lightroom the pictures did not get a 1 star rating so I had to add them manually) Then I made the darker picture look like the lighter one by adjusting exposure (and setting blacks to 0) and saving. Then I reloaded in LRT and that's to where I got i guess..

On a sidenote: how do I place keyframes when it isn't one straight jump from dark to bright, but like dark, lighter, overexposed, properly exposed.

Thanks again for the one on one help, I'll make sure to make my donation soon!
#9 Matjoez
Hi.
I noticed that in LRTimelapse it appears that a brightness jump occurs between image xx23 and xx24, however when i check it in lightroom or on finderlevel i notice that is not where the jump happens, in the source files the jump happens between xx22 and xx23.
So logically the stuff i adjusted in Lightroom didn't work as planned..

any thoughts?
#10 Gunther
Hi, sounds like something went wrong with your previews. Try rebuilding them with ctrl-F5 that should help.

...also check out: