• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Visual Preview Multicore Rendering limited to 8 threads

#1 martinheck
I just discovered that after an initial use of all cpu cores LRT uses only ~8 instances of the DNGConverter to finish rendering the visual preview. I wonder if there has been changes to the DNGConverter or something else that limits the number of instances?
CPU: AMD 3970X, LRT set to use 64cores.
LRT 5.6.0, DNGConverter 13.3, Windows10 Pro 19043.1083
Timestorm Films | Professional Timelapse Photography
www.timestormfilms.com
Youtube | Instagram
#2 Gunther
The DNG Converter doesn't know that many instances are being launched. Also nothing changed in how LRTimelapse does the multitasking in the last updates.
64 tasks is plenty, it's not only the cores that play a role, also your drives must be able to deliver that fast and the operating systems also don't skale linearly with the number of course.
All in all the threads that LRTimelapse uses are briefly correlated to the number of tasks but this linearity might get lost for higher values because of management overhead of the OS and other reasons.
I'd recommend that you check the log file for any time outs. If you get them, you should lower the amount of threads in the LRTimelapse settings, go down to 48 for example and see what happens. Always check the log for timeouts.
In any case, restarting the computer might also be a good idea, if you didn't do so for quite a time.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 martinheck
Yes it looks like it might be a Windows (scheduler) issue. The only reason why I'm noticing it now is that it worked much more efficiently before. I'm using this system for 1,5years now.
Drives: C: and working driver are NVME SSDs and show not even 5% usage.
Threads: Tested 32, 48 and 64 threads. 48threads seems indeed most efficient.
Log File: Looks normal, no timeouts
System: switched it off and on again Wink

All in all still very usable, just wanted to let you know. Cheers.
Timestorm Films | Professional Timelapse Photography
www.timestormfilms.com
Youtube | Instagram
#4 Gunther
Lets see what windows 11 brings

Sent mobile...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: