• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Unable to get rid of flicker

#1 kidfob
I have a clip that has persisting flickering. Ive tried deflickering and have increased the number of passes and smoothing quantity, but the flickering doesnt seem to go away.

Ive uploaded the image sequence to dropbox in case you can help tweak the deflickering settings and get a perfect result:

<link removed>
#2 Gunther
Your images are underexposed by nearly 4 stops. With a neutral editing they are nearly black.
Then you used different non-linear tools like whites, blacks to a very high extent in Lightroom. This introduces contrast flicker that cannot be easily removed. To learn more about this topic and how to deal with it, please watch my expert tips video #5:
https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/expert
Also you didn't use any reference area for the deflicker (check out the deflicker tutorial on that: https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/advanced ) and you are shooting a highly contrast situation with an additional flicker source, which is the tv screen.

Tips:
- use a more subtile editing considering the linearity and non linearity of the lightroom tools
- rather edit a bit more flat in LR/LRT and do the final grading in the video editor, for such sequences, especially when they have to be "pushed" so much due to underexposure
- use a reference area
- next time try to get the exposure better

PS: sending 10 GB file is unecessary. Next time use the LRTimelapse Importer to generate a DNG sequence with reduced image dimensions (like 1920x1080), this is sufficient for me to see the editing and will be much smaller in footprint and therefore save me a lot of time. Thanks!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 kidfob
Thanks for the feedback!

One last question. I noticed a lot of operations max out the CPU. Any chance theres a setting that leverages the GPU instead?

Thanks again
#4 Gunther
No, those are all CPU tasks which take profit of multiple cores and scale very well.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 kidfob
Ok thanks again

...also check out: