• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

final renders flat

#1 richardwatsonphoto
ever since upgrade I'm getting final rendered videos that look so flat and arent applying the Lightroom edits.

the preview in LR timelapse looks ok but I've tried everything and cant get the final renders to look ok.

I've watched the tutorials and followed various threads here but no combination of changes is working.

anyone else having this issue and could help please?

thanks, richard
#2 Gunther
Hi Richard,
most likely you are rendering in Rec.2020 colorspace and your editor / player is not able to cope with the wide gamut footage.
Set the rendering colorspace to Rec.709, that should get you going.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 richardwatsonphoto
thanks for the reply. honesty I've tried all options and its still the same and driving me crazy. never had an issue before the update.
is it possible to run me through the exact choices I need to select in both Lightroom and LR to get this correct please?
#4 Gunther
Hi Richard, in Lightroom just use the default settings in LRTExport. Use one of the templates on the left.
In LRTimelapse when rendering choose:
MP4 / H.264,
Quality: High,
Color Sampling: 420,
Gamut: Standard (Rec.709)
Video Levels: Legal (TV)
Force output to 16:9 checked.

This should give you maximum compatibility.
In any case use a good video player, see this faq: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-whi...-rendition
#5 richardwatsonphoto
thanks again for prompt reply !!

so my latest exports had used the settings below. can you see anything wrong in that that could have caused the issue?

Lightroom - Export narrow gamut intermediaries 709, 4k, 8 bit, jpg

LR timelapse output - 4K, high quality, 422 colour sampling, standard gamut (709), Video levels full range

thanks, richard
#6 Gunther
Try Video levels Limited/TV, see if that changes anything. Also Try 4K UHD instead of 4K.
And use a good player.

What about the settings that I told you, did they work for you?
#7 richardwatsonphoto
ok sorry for not replying on here and in desperation asking about going back a firmware version.

I've tried all settings you recommended and nothing has fixed the issue. final export videos both in my player and when I import to FCPX are so flat - its almost like none of the gradients, vignettes have been applied too.

I never had any issues until I recently upgraded to LRT4 then the new version. any other ideas? : (
#8 Gunther
We should try to narrow down, what's going on.
Is it really, that the edits are not being applied? You should be able to find that out by doing some color independent and noticeable editing for testing purposes, like applying a strong crop or doing false colors via whitebalance.
See if those are applied in the video. This would mean, the edits are there, just the colors are off because of incompatiblities in color management.

Basically from the video editors that I know, only Davinci Resolve is able to properly interpret Rec.2020 footage, that's why by default you should render in Rec.709. Also please note, that you need to reexport your sequences from Lightroom, if you come from older LRTimelapse versions. Make sure, that the LRTExport Plugin version (currently 5.5.5) corresponds to your new LRTimelapse version (should also be 5.5.5). If not, reinstall LRTimelapse 5.5.5.

Then reexport and in the LRT Render Settings choose Rec.709, Full Range.
Also you could try H.264 instead of Prores to see, if that changes anything.

Let me know.
#9 richardwatsonphoto
thanks for that. I read today on the forum that I should export in Lightroom in rec2020 but then 709 in LRtimelapse. I'd been doing 709 in both. could this have been the issue?
#10 Gunther
Normally that shouldn't make a difference, but as I also explained in my Video about the color management, normally you should leave the export in Lightroom via LRTExport on the default settings (which is Rec.2020 export).
Therefore it might be worth a try... (along with my other tips)

...also check out: