• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Holy Grail button greyed out all the time

#21 gwegner
The purpose of the Holy Grail Wizard is to level the jumps in brightness, that are being introduced, when you change camera settings (ISO, Exposure, Aperture) when shooting in M mode. It doesn't matter, if you change manually or via qDslrDashboard.

If you shoot in A/Av Mode, you don't need it, since you most likely won't get those "jumps" - just some flicker. In those cases just use the visual deflicker.
Check out my e-book Time Lapse Shooting and Processing!
Subscribe to the LRTimelapse Newsletter!

lrtimelapse.com - advanced Time Lapse Photography made easy!
gwegner.de - Fotografie, Zeitraffer, Video, Reisen.
facebook · Google+ · twitter · vimeo
#22 uscholdm
I shot a 147 image sequence and made a few changes along the way, first is was shutter priority, then I changed the ISO, then it was aperture priority. There are numerous jumps where the exposure changed.  Just because I allowed the camera to do this rather than doing it all in M mode, I see no reason for not calling this Holy Grail mode.  I had to go manualy insert the left and right key frames.   How about not insisting on shooting in M mode and using the fact there are numerous jumps in exposure throughout the image. The latter seems to be the important thing. I don't see how it can be true that using HG key frames will have no effect in these circumstances.

This was driving me nuts, before I found this FAQ.

Otherwise, I'm excited by the possibilities this tool offers.

Michael
#23 gwegner
If you changed the shooting mode, LRT might still not activate the HG-Wizard.

In that case, you have to manually place 2* and 3* keyframes right before and after each jump.
So go to each image before a jump, press "2", and on the next press "3".
This will manually set keyframes there and enable the Holy Grail Wizard too.

#24 uscholdm
Thanks, that is what I did.  Consider whether it would be an overall benefit if you broadened the criteria for HG mode so that one is not forced to put it into M mode, but that A or Av mode would also trigger it. This would be in the spirit of LTR saving work, not forcing users to manully look for the changes and setting L and R points at each exposure change.  There are lots of them, since they are gradual.  Or maybe if the changes are very gradual, then there is no real benefit of using HG mode and entering the points manually?

Michael
#25 gwegner
There is of course a reason, that sequence shot in A mode are not processed with the Holy Grail wizard.

If you shoot in A mode, the camera will write exif data in steps of 1/3 stops for exposure/iso/aperture - but in reality it most cameras do continuous adjustments. So the exifdata will not reflect the real brightness of the images. In that case holy grail wizard would introduce some "jumps" instead of eliminating jumps (because there are none).

So the only reason for using the holy grail wizard on sequences shot in A mode would be, that you manually interferred by using the +/- correction on the camera. In those case only, you would then be able to set the 2*/3* manually - then you can use the HG-Wizard for those jumps only - the other adjustments due to the A-Mode will be left alone.

Everything will be smoothened by the visual deflicker at the end.

#26 uscholdm
Very interesting, thanks for the explanation.

Michael
#27 jdphotopdx
This is really frustrating. I shoot in a mode, and yes I do the +/- adjustments occasionally. LR time-lapse will not recognize those changes for me.
#28 gwegner
No, because it cannot distinguish between changes to the camera parameters that the camera does automatically and those that you do manually.
In order to use the Holy Grail Wizard nevertheless, just manually set a 2* keyframe (hit 2 on keyboard) to the frame before you manually adjusted and a 3* keyframe (hit 3) on the next frame, after the adjustment. The should be on adjacent frames.
Now the Holy Grail Wizard is unlocked and you can use it.

...also check out: