• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Closed

Issue with colors after rendering in ProRes 444

#1 identitaet
Hi,

i am having some issues with the latest version of LrTimelapse (5.5.3) on Mac. When rendering a video in ProRes 444, the colours come out quite different and also less contrast.

I am attaching a screenshot of my export settings and the results from the JPG compared to the video in VLC.

Does someone know why this is the case and how this could be fixed?

Thank you and greetings
Mathias
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Gunther
You are rendering in Rec.2020 color space and your player is not doing correct color management.
See the last 3 faqs under "Export and Rendering" on https://lrtimelapse.com/faq/ - also watch my Color management tutorial on https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/

For maximum compatibility and direct playback you should render in Rec.709.

Also please update to the latest LRTimelapse: https://lrtimelapse.com/download/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 identitaet
Thanks for your incredibly fast feedback, Gunther. The reason why I tried Rec.2020 color space is, that the issue exists in Rec.709. I watched the tutorial, updated LrTimelapse and read also the FAQs and connected forum entries. I've installed MPC-HC.

Unfortunately I am not able to fix it. The issue persists when exporting in Rec.709 and watching the footage in MPC-HC Player. I am attaching another screenshot.

Greetings,
Mathias
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#4 Gunther
Do you have color management activated in MPC? Right click on the player, Video-Renderer/Color/Colormanagement
If that's not sufficient, try to rendering with Full range option instead of Limited in LRT.
#5 richardwatsonphoto
I'm getting this too and haven't been able to work out a solution. tried every variable
#6 identitaet
Unfortunately, I was not able to fix this. I tried all options including rendering in full mode - the colors remain to be off. Colormanagement in MPC is activated.

Unfortunately I ran out of ideas.

I just remember I did not have this issue in previous versions and think about downgrading and testing, again.
#7 identitaet
One thing to add, I just noticed now: This issue only occurs on my MacBook Pro internal Display. TrueTone deactivated. On my external Dell U2717D the colors do match.
#8 Gunther
That's interesting but shows that most likely LRTimelapse is not causing the problem.

What I can only repeat recommending is, that if you don't want to do a complete color managed workflow and really know what you are doing in this terms, always render in Rec.709. Also take care to use a video player that does proper color management.

This is what I would recommend for a clean and reproducible start:
  • Load a sequence, reexport it with the latest LRTExport version (should be 5.5.5 now). Make sure that the color space in LRTExport is set to Rec.2020 (NOT force Rec.709 in the advanced settings).
  • Now in LRTimelapse render with Rec.709, limited range. Use H.264 for now.
  • Compare the output with the image in Lightroom, if you have a calibrated wide-gamut monitor, you'd need to use a video player which supports color management:
    • On a recent Mac with latest updates use the internal Quicktime player, it is now color managed (while VLC will not apply any Monitor profile and thus might produce wrong colors!)
    • On Windows, use the MPC-HC
  • The colors in Lightroom and in the player should now match.
More about Video-Players in this Faq: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-whi...-rendition
#9 identitaet
Hi Gunther,

thanks for your dedicated feedback. Unfortunately I am still unable to accomplish the result I am looking for. So I need some more advice, please.

Here is, what I did:
- Completely re-installed Lightroom Classic and LrTimelapse (5.5.5)
- Updated to MacOS Catalina 10.15.7
- Re-exportet the sequence as Tiff 16 Bit with Rec.2020
- Exporert via LrTimelapse In H.264, limited Range
- LrTimelapse ProRes, 422, limited Range

The result:
- The h.264 can't be opened with Quicktime. I am receiving an error that the file is not compatible. I am attaching a screenshot.
- The 422 result is much better than before but still lacking contrast

Would you mind taking another look here? I would be very grateful!
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#10 Gunther
Did you render (not export) in Rec.2020 or Rec.709? Try Rec.709!

Sent mobile...

...also check out: