• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mac Catalina: LRTimelapse failing to terminate correctly.

#1 Martin Mezger
Hi Gunther

I really like the product, but I have noticed an issue with it which I hope you can fix.

There is a problem w/ quitting 5.5.7 running on iMAC running Catalina 10.15.7. The problem is repeatable and occurs after rendering video. The rendering process shows up in the RHS of the dock, and cannot be quit correctly. Even force quit does not work. This means that the system cannot be restarted or shut down normally, and must be force-reset to overcome the problem.

Many thanks

Martin
#2 Gunther
Is it possible theat you have configured your OS to show new dialogs as Tabs? Please see the install page, where I've explained how to fix this: https://LRTimelapse.com/install

Sent mobile...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Martin Mezger
The "prefer tabs" was already set to Full Screen Only and the option "show recent applications in dock" was unchecked.

The problem only occurs after rendering video. Instead of one icon for LRTL, there appears a second one when the rendering dialog is called. Exiting the main program seems to work (the active indicator spot underneath the icon disappears), but both icons remain in the dock. Right clicking the first (original) shows that it has terminated correctly, but the second instance shows as unresponsive on right-clicking; all attempts to force quit fail; when attempting to shut the system down, I get the e/m <<Your Mac hasn't restarted because "LRTimelapse 5" failed to quit>>, and the only recourse is to crash the system by means of the power button.

Many thanks

Martin
#4 Gunther
Try setting prefer tabs to never.

Sent mobile...
#5 Martin Mezger
There are only three "prefer tabs" options, Always, In Full Screen only or Manually. None of these makes any difference to the issue. Following rendering and quitting the application, the 2nd instance remains in the dock, shows on right-click as non-responsive, and cannot be force-quitted.

The only workaround I have found to prevent forcibly restarting the system is to force-quit both instances.

Many thanks

Martin
#6 Gunther
I'm not really sure if we are talking about the same thing. With 5.5.7 the problems with an additional instance in the dock are gone. Just undock any previous version, trash any previous version, clear trash and then do a clean install of the latest LRTimelapse 5.5.7.
Then make sure that you have set the "Open in tabs" option in your system to "never", see my attached screenshot.

After that everything should work as expected. If not, please send a screenshot or screencast to clarify what you are experiencing.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#7 Martin Mezger
OK, looking at your screenshot, it looks like we're talking about the difference between Big Sur (11) and Catalina (10.15) versions of MAC-OS. Catalina has the prefer tabs settings in preferences/doc, with the options per my earlier post, and Big Sur has the settings in preferences/general. The "never" option only appears in 11, not in 10.15, according to Apple:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/ma.../mac/10.15
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/ma...0/mac/11.0

So looks like I should upgrade the OS to 11, trash & reinstall LRTL and then all should be well.

Many thanks for your patience.

Martin
#8 Gunther
OK, but LRTimelapse should also work fine with Catalina (although personally, I can't test anymore...)

Sent mobile...
#9 Gunther
I had a user on High Sierra, that also has the issue that a second instance of LRTimelapse opens after rendering which he can't close anymore.
This is strange, because what normally happens is that the LRTimelapse Launcher checks, if another instance is running and then doesn't launch but pass the render request to the running instance. It checks if any App whose name begins with "LRTimelapse" is running and then doesn't launch another instance.
Please double check that you didn't incidentally rename the LRTimelapse app.

Currently I see two workarounds:
1) You could close LRTimelapse before starting the export
2) you could check "Skip LRTimelapse rendering" in the LRTExport Plugin and then just trigger the rendering manually in LRTimelapse via "File / Render Video" and there "Choose" the exported intermediary sequence manually.

This seems to be an issue only on some older Mac Systems, unfortunately once you've upgraded your mac there is no way back, so I can't reproduce this on my testing system with latest MacOS.
#10 crowley213
Hello Gunther,

I am facing the same problem on my Mac with OS Catalina and LRTimelapse 5.5.7, means
- when the export is finished a second instance of LRT opens for the rendering
- after rendering is done I can only close the original instance of LRT
- the second instance of LRT cannot be closed at all, not even with Force Quit, I cannot log out from my account or normally restart the computer
- the only option left is to power off the computer and start it again!

I didn't recognize this behavior with LRT 5.5.6!

When skipping the rendering during export and initiating it afterwards manually everything works fine.

Herbert

...also check out: