• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Laptop for timelapse

#1 Teditedi
Hello everyone!

I ve just started doing timelapse since few months and I'm now looking to upgrade my old macbook pro to a new one, but concern about if I have to choose apple or windows.

I ll mostly going to use it for editing photo and timelapse.

I'd like to use Adobe softwares but somebody says that Adobe softwares runs better on windows, is that true? Overall I'd like to use lrtimelapse which I ve read good reviews on the web.

So my question is: which laptop should i buy to avoid any low performances and which are the specs that I have to look for? 16 or 32 gb Ram? How many Core? Etc..

My raw files are between 24 to 34 Mb each and I often shoot more than 1500 pics to create the video

Please give some tips and advices on which laptop brand should I buy with the best specs for my workflow!

Thanks to all!

Ps: can't afford a desktop PC
#2 Gunther
Let's start with your last sentence:
Quote:Ps: can't afford a desktop PC
You'll always pay more for a laptop with the same performance than for a desktop pc.

You can build yourself a quite decent desktop (windows) for < 1000€, I've recently had a suggestion for that on my german blog, here is a google translate link for you: https://translate.google.com/translate?s...tung-2020/

Additionally you should get a good Wide Gamut Monitor and a Calibration Tool like the Spyder. Without a proper calibrated monitor, every image processing or video editing doesn't make much sense.

It will be hard to find a Laptop with a Wide Gamut display that comes even close to a good Monitor. Such laptops are usually in the range of >3000€ and still won't deliver the performance of a good desktop for 1000€ (without monitor).

It will be impossible to get a similar laptop for that money.
In terms of performance you cannot just say windows or mac is faster. It doesn't matter. What is true is that for a Mac mostly you'll pay way more for the same performance. The one exception currently is the new Mac Mini M1 for around 800€ which is quite good for the money. But of course, it's not really extensible, doesn't bring so much ram etc.

For timelapse editing the important cornerstones are:
- Lots of processor cores, the more the better. Performance will scale with the number of cores.
- fast SSDs for OS and Data
- 16 or 32 GB or Ram, of course 32 is better, but if you only run LRTimelapse and Lightroom at the same time, 16 will also do.
- the Graphic card is not so important. Basically Lightroom will only take profit of Graphic Acceleration, if you work on a 4K screen. Working on a lower resolution, will make things faster.

Hope I could help.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Teditedi
Thanks a lot! I will wait as well for new answers.
Btw since I'm travelling a lot I won't buy a desktop and I'm not a pro but I want something suitable that won't let me slow down with my workflow so for the moment I'm ok with a good performance laptop.
So could you please reccomend me a brand such apple or better Lenovo, Dell etc..?? My budget isn't over 3k $
Thank you!
#4 Gunther
Nearly all brands offer good laptops. There are many comparison sites online, where you can enter your needs and will get a selection if good models.

Sent mobile...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: