• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sony A7III Inconsistent Interval

#1 Daryl
I'm having an issue with my Sony A7III that I've only just noticed since I started shooting storms.

I have the camera set to Manual Mode, manual focus, manual ISO.

I use 1 second exposures and using the built in intervalometer, the interval is set to every 1 second.

When I look at the data in LRT, the gap is inconsistent, between 1 and 2 seconds. I have counted bolts of lightning when out shooting and I am definitely missing some, and I'm thinking this is the reason.

I have tried using an external trigger (DJI RSC2 with a timelapse function) and I have tried the fastest SD cards available, to no avail.

I have attached a photo to show the issue.

Is this a data reporting issue or is the camera incapable of taking consistent photos?

Thanks for any help / suggestions.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Gunther
The built in intervalometers of the cameras are not really good when it comes to shooting with short dark times.
"Dark time" is the important aspect here: it's the difference between Intervall and Exposure.

Eample: you shoot with 1 Sec interval and 1/2 sec Exposure time, then the "Dark Time" where your camera is not shooting is only 1/2 seconds. In this time the camera needs so save the image and get ready again. Unfortunately the cameras add additional delays here that make short dark times inpossible.

With internal intervalometers, usually Dark Times under 1 sec are not possible.
But also with simple external intervalometers you won't be able to achieve them because, those intervalometers send an (unecessary) Autofocus signal of 1 sec a least, which blocks the camera.

That#s the main reason, why I developed the LRT PRO Timer: the only Intervalometer that allows for really short dark times of 0.3 seconds. I'd recommend to check out my infos and videos about the LRT PRO Timer where I explain the difference and why the internal camera intervalometer and also the industry intervalometers can't do this: https://lrtimelapse.com/lrtpt
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Daryl
Thanks for the info Gunther! I'll be saving my money till next storm season and try pick one up. I have tried the cable hack that you posted before and that has made it a tad more consistent, (i get 1,2,1,2,1,2 instead of 1,2,2,1,2,2) but still not ideal

Have you tested or had your timer with the a7III? I am really concerned that the camera is just not capable of what I am trying to do and it would be all for nothing.

Also, does the hardware come with the a software bundle, or would I need to still purchase the software separately?

Thanks for all you do for this community!

...also check out: