• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Metadata Adjustments: preferred methods

#1 Not A Speck Of Cereal
Hey there,

In the given scenario, what is the best way to adjust keyframes?

1) After Keyframe and Holy Grail wizard, Save and Edit keyframes in LR
2) After LR edits and save metadata, go to LRT, do a Reload, Auto-transition, Visual Previews
3) Playback the preview

At this point, I was unhappy with the last couple of keyframes (went too dark after sunset). So I did the following:

4) Back to LR, adjusted Develop settings in those last few keyframes to taste
5) Did step #2 above again

At this point, the Auto-transition seemed to adjust the keyframes appropriately (some lines adjusted), so I pressed Visual Previews again. But I got these HUGE spikes (some down, most of them up) in the PINK line. The spikes were in line with the keyframes, even those that weren't even adjusted in LR. Playing back the previews showed the visual spikes, of course.

So to MY QUESTION: is there something I should have done differently? Perhaps between steps #3 and 4?

I fear pressing any reset button that would take be back to the top row in the Visual Workflow, since most of my work was in LR, which occurs between the two Visual Workflow rows.

FYI What I did to fix this, which seems to work (without me REDO-ing my LR keyframe edits), but I'd rather not have to go through this again if there's something better to keep the spikes from happening in the first place:

a) Hit the big scary Yellow Star (Initialize 'reset' metadata), which clears everything (keyframes, holy grail, all else). Yes, this was scary, but I already had the spikes, so it was worth a try.
b) Went through the Keyframe / HG wizards again and hit Save.
c) Back in LR, do a Save of the metadata (it will complain about the files being written too externally, overwrite them regardless)
d) Go through the rest of the Visual Workflow, all the way through preview, no spikes on the pink line.

Thanks for any feedback,
Chris
#2 Gunther
Hi Chris, please check out my Expert Tips video on how to reedit sequences: https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/expert
BTW: There is nothing "scary" on Metadata/Initialize. It just resets everything to a clean start should something have been messed up.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Not A Speck Of Cereal
Thanks Gunther,

I watched your video and as happens, I did the exact steps mentioned in the video, the 2nd part on editing of existing settings without initializing the entire project.

But none of this explains the large spikes in luminance I got after my 2nd edit. Do you have any input on that? Have you experienced it, or has anyone else reported it?

One new thing I got from the video as the mention of Snapshots. I wasn't aware of this feature, so I will probably use it for any subsequent projects where I do further edits. That would alleviate my apprehension of total initialization.

Perhaps you wouldn't use the word 'scary', but all I meant is that I hate to lose a lot of creative work, which I feared would happen with full initialization. So far, in this case, I see nothing that I did to have caused the spikes, but would love to know what causes it so I can avoid experiencing it again.

Thanks, Chris
#4 Gunther
Hi Chris, such "spikes" just mean that something went wrong while editing. Most cause could be you incidentally introducing new Gradients (instead of working with the predefined) or removing gradients. Unforutnately without seeing and deeply analyzing the sequence at that state I also cannot say what went wrong - that's why "Initializing" is a good option to get things straight and normally the faster way then trying to figure out what happened and try to fix that. If that happens again, check the table, you might see which values are off, maybe that gives you a hint about the reason.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: