• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

What Development Tools can I safely use in Lightroom / ACR?

#1 gwegner
Nearly all tools of Lightroom are supported with a few exceptions:
  • Custom Point Curves are not supported, please use the parametric tone curve instead.
  • Four gradient filters are supported, they get created by LRTimelapse and appear as "dots" when hitting "M" on any initialized image. Please use those gradients and edit them because other newly created gradients will not be animated. Please do not delete any of those gradients!
  • Two Circular gradients are supported (since LR5), they will as well be created when initializing. The same said for the linear gradients apply here.
  • Clone Stamp, Paint Brush and Filter Brush are only supported on the very first image, those settings will be synced automatically to all other images by LRT. For Paint Brush and Filter Brush, you can animate the Sliders on the other keyframes too, but not the positions and shapes.
  • If you use Brushes, please make sure to make the shapes not too complex because only a certain amount of data can be stored into the XMP files. If you brush too much, this will fail to get stored.
  • "Upright" Perspective Correction is not supported and will not be animated, please apply it in the very last step before exporting via LRTExport and synchronize it (and only this setting) to the whole sequence.
  • Don't use the B+W for Black and White conversion, please use desaturation combined with HSL (if you want) instead.
  • Although it works in LRT4, I do not recommend to animate the crop to make any ken-burns effects in LRTimelapse. Learn more here: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-ken-...rtimelapse
  • If you have big changes in brightness from one image to another (for example people passing directly in front of the camera, headlamps shining in a scene from time to time etc), Lightroom might apply the same develop settings in a different way to those images, introducing a changes in contrast that are hard to remove by deflickering. In those cases please avoid using the non-linear tools in Lightroom: Clarity, Dehaze, Whites, Blacks - use the parametric tone curve instead, here is a blog post about that: http://lrtimelapse.com/news/use-the-new-...me-lapses/
  • Don't use third party plugins, since you don't usually know, if they are unsing any of the unsupported tools!
    Please see my post about custom presets too:
    http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-may-...-lightroom
Check out my e-book Time Lapse Shooting and Processing!
Subscribe to the LRTimelapse Newsletter!

lrtimelapse.com - advanced Time Lapse Photography made easy!
gwegner.de - Fotografie, Zeitraffer, Video, Reisen.
facebook · Google+ · twitter · vimeo
#2 usmaan
Hey Gunther

About the 3 gradient filters that are supported - for some reason, when I hit 'M' on an initialized image, only 2 gradient filter buttons show up. Any idea why?

Also, if we physically move around the filters on the image, is that alright? LRTimelapse will still be able to animate them across the sequence?

Thanks!
Fan of all things epic & adventurous.
#3 gwegner
Sure, moving, rotating etc. is all fine. I assume you have set a crop and maybe don't see the lower gradient because of that. Try removing the crop, then drag the lower gradient more to the center.

#4 grantkaye
Gunther -

I have a question regarding the graduated filters "exposure" setting. LRT only accepts values of -1 to +1. How does this translate to the slider settings in LR5 of -4 to plus 4? for example, I have a sequence with 110 shots. For the first one I want the grad filter to have an exposure value of -1.68,however LRT shows the value as -0.421 for the first frame where in LR it is set to -1.68. Is there a conversion factor?

Thanks.

(2013-11-10, 14:44)gwegner Wrote: Sure, moving, rotating etc. is all fine. I assume you have set a crop and maybe don't see the lower gradient because of that. Try removing the crop, then drag the lower gradient more to the center.
#5 gwegner
Yes, for the filters there is a range of -1 to 1 that gets scaled to -4 to +4. Don't ask me, why adobe decided to do like that...

#6 kaigradert
Fantastic. Exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks.
#7 Seafunks
Hi Gunther,

If it isn't possible to animate shapes and positions of filter brushes, how do you edit or seperate fore- and background when using a dolly? For Example an illuminated tree in front of the milkyway. Are those shots only edited frame by frame or how do you automize this process?
#8 gwegner
You can animate the position of the graduated or circular filter that holds the filterbrush, that works - but not the shape or position of the brush inside the filter or a single brush.

#9 Seafunks
Okay perfect, I'll try this out! Thanks Gunther!

...also check out: